Fed up with how Apache memory usage grows (and grows, and grows), I’ve changed all of my sites on my external server (where, for instance, this very blog is hosted) to lighttpd, a.k.a. Lighty.
I began by changing the most problematic site to Lighty (listening on port 81), and using Apache’s proxy module to redirect it there. After the results were promising, I went and changed each site at a time, dealing with the particular problems of each (I use lots of redirects, and the syntax is a bit different, and, furthermore, Lighty doesn’t support
WordPress was relatively easy (just one line). MyBB would have been even easier (nothing to do), if not for the fact that I use an SEO mod which uses an
.htaccess file for nicer URLs. But everything was easier than I expected.
After each site had been “moved”, it was just a matter of stopping Apache and moving Lighty to port 80.
Memory usage is way down, and so is swap file usage (basically, it’s not being used, and it was, before — a lot). Barring any future problems, I’m quite happy with this set-up, and would advise this change to anyone who’s never tried anything other than Apache on an Unix system. I’ll probably try doing the same thing on my home server, too.